Here are some basic helpful hints regarding the security of your computer:
1. Always keep your Windows operating system security up to date by installing all the latest Microsoft security updates. You can get these at the Windows update site under the Start menu.
2. Keep your security programs such as the anti-virus, the anti-spyware and firewall programs up to date. Remember there are opinions as to which manufacturer of these is best, but no matter which you use, any one is better than none at all.
3. Always back up your irreplaceable data on a regular basis. It’s so easy to forget this simple action, yet so vital.
4. Make sure your internet security and privacy settings are at least set to medium. This gives you important additional protection.
5. Be wary of e-mail attachments. Viruses very commonly arrive in your computer from these attachments.
6. Keep an eye on those icons for your anti-virus, spyware, etc. on your taskbar. Click on these often to make sure that they are active and not disabled.